Writing Retreats

Phorum will be hosted its first writing retreat on Friday, February 17th, at 1 PM – Ross Hall 212.

What is the writing retreat?

The writing retreat is a chance for an afternoon of distraction-free writing. Need to get an abstract done for a conference? Need to get ahead on a long paper? Need to put in some solid work on your thesis? This is the time!

Distraction-free?

As much as we can make it! We’ll have a few rooms to ourselves, and we’re going to shut off our phones and internet.

WHAT?

At least put your phone on airplane mode… and use Word, Pages, or Notes to write, instead of Google Docs.

Where is it taking place?

We’ll all meet in Ross Hall, room 212. After a brief introduction, you can stay in 212, or move to 216 or 420.

Can I work in my office?

Try to resist this temptation – it’s too easy to fall into your old routine of checking emails and playing Farmville when you’re in a familiar place. Plus, the group setting adds a level of accountability.

What should I bring?

Your laptop or something to write with. There are only so many computers in 420. Bring a snack to share with the group. Water bottles will be provided, but if you need tea, coffee, Monster Energy Drinks, or anything else, you’ll want to make sure to bring that too.

How long is the retreat? Will I need to stay the entire time?

From 1 PM until 5 PM. To get the most out of the experience, I recommend staying for the full length of time.

Wait, so I have to write for four hours straight???

Not exactly. The afternoon will look something like this:

1 – 1:20: Introductions and goal setting

1:20 – 2:50: Writing Time

2:50 – 3:10: Snack break/Check in

3:10 – 4:40: Writing Time

4:40 – 5: Debriefing/Celebratory cupcakes

Sounds epic! How do I sign up?

Click here to fill out the RSVP form!